SAVE THE CAVE, SAVE THE BATS
A single cave, Cueva del Diablo, just outside Mexico City, one of the world’s most highly populated cities, is the only mating roost for the globally endangered Mexican long-nosed bat and is the only major roost known for the winter range of the species. The cave is under imminent threat of development and encroachment by speleological groups and amateur explorers.
Unfortunately, bats are susceptible to changes in their environment, and this type of routine disturbance in and around the cave reduces the suitability of the site for these bats. Humans entering the cave may also bring in pathogens to which these bats have no resistance.
If their only mating roost is made uninhabitable, it will be catastrophic for this nectar-feeding bat species. We need your help to stop the encroachment of this vital bat breeding site.
At this very minute, the overwintering bats are at risk of cave-ins, disturbance by intruding humans, and destruction of the habitat they rely on. Every day we wait, these bats’ lives are at risk. Please make a gift today.
- Location: Mexico
- Bat: Globally endangered Mexican long-nosed bat (Leptonycteris nivalis)
- Key steps:
- Finalize the development and agreement of a community-based land conservation and management plan that includes a legally binding process for long-term land protection.
- Complete a cartography (LiDAR) and photogrammetric (drone) study of the cave and above-cave landscape for both conservation and legal strategies and agreements
- Reach an agreement on a legal and social strategy for long-term land securement; reaching an agreement on a long-term conservation strategy and strengthening the capacity of local partnerships to support its implementation
- Develop a long-term strategy for green business that is socially, ecologically and economically sustainable
- Officially dedicate and establish the new Cueva del Diablo Bat Sanctuary recognized by the Comisión Estatal de Biodiversidad and the Comisión Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas.
- Goal: $200,000 by Dec. 31, 2020
To donate by mail or phone:
PO Box 140434, Austin, TX 78714-0434.
Field Is Required
Select Gift Amount:
Credit Card Information:
Checking Account Information: